The bedrock of all IBW activity is authors in bookshops, and this year is no exception. We are now inviting you to nominate authors for author activity in bookshops. For each author you nominate for IBW, you must supply:
- Author Name
- Author Location & maximum travel distance
- Author availability
- Publicist’s Contact details – phone and email
We list below some ideas which we are keen to progress – also, if you have your own ideas, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Please respond with your ideas by March 15th 2014 by emailing Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org
– 1. Author Availability for Bookshop Events: we want to collate as large a list as possible of authors who are available to bookshops for events and promotional activity during IBW – the BA then communicates the list to booksellers, who make direct contact with the publisher to organize the event logistics.
– Email email@example.com with a list of your authors and their locations, as well as which dates during IBW they are available, and how far afield they are prepared to travel. We are particularly keen to have authors from across the UK and Ireland – all too often bookshops comment that authors can be London-based, so if you have authors who live in the regions, please do also consider asking them. Ideally, we want authors who are up for traditional bookshop events.
– 2. Author/Bookshop Matchmaking: we feel there is a lot of scope for authors to visit bookshops, not just for big events and promotional activity, but also simply to build the relationship between local authors and bookshop. Consequently we are aiming to encourage authors to visit bookshops during IBW, particularly their local bookshop. We are aiming to put out a general invitation for local authors to visit and befriend their local bookshop – and this is an activity that we are aiming to build yet further during Books Are My Bag this year.
– 3. IBW Book Award – see here for full information http://independentbooksellersweek.org.uk/award-page/
– Email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or to submit a title – the deadline for submission is 28th February 2014.
– 4. IBW Champions: if you have an author who is a keen champion of independents, then please ask them to consider preparing a quote we could use on IBW materials, or putting themselves forward to talk to the media about independents on the High Street and the Week – this is particularly important
– Email email@example.com with details of likely champions
All publisher offers and author availability will be communicated to all participating IBW Booksellers in regular IBW EBulletins. They will also be listed on the campaign website www.independentbooksellersweek.org.uk
We will be encouraging booksellers to make direct contact with publishers to organize events, so it is important that you give contact names as appropriate. Midas PR are on hand to give advice to publishers keen to set up events with booksellers, but one of the aims of IBW is to create new links between publishers, booksellers and authors, so we do encourage you to make direct contact and discuss your ideas and authors with booksellers. You will receive address details for all participating booksellers; email communication is restricted to emails hosted by the BA, for data protection reasons.
We look forward to hearing from you, and to working with you on IBW this year.
For more information and how to get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org