Due to expansion, Educate.ie have a vacancy for a Managing Editor. Initially working on post-primary titles for the Irish market, you will report to the Operations Manager and be responsible for managing a team of in-house and freelance editorial staff. This is an excellent role in a growing publishing house.
- Managing the Editorial department and freelance editors/graphic designers.
- Coordinating the publishing schedule with the Operations Manager.
- Working with the Operations Manager to create and implement appropriate editorial processes and procedures to ensure maximum efficiency in and between the Editorial and DTP departments.
- Compiling individual schedules and controlling budgets.
- Liaising with authors at an early stage and managing all author relations throughout the production process.
- Briefing editorial and design staff as required and liaising with them throughout the production process.
- Reporting regularly to the Publisher and Operations Manager, advising of risks and schedule slippages and recommending solutions.
- Assisting the Publisher and Commissioning Editors in the creation of value for money publishing proposals, with regard to hours and costs.
- Ensuring products meet given specifications in publishing proposals and that all agreed criteria are met.
- Mentoring editorial staff in the use of best-practice editorial.
- Reviewing and appraising editors and submitting appropriate reports to the Publisher.
- Excellent editorial, organisational and time-management skills.
- Experience of editing and project managing highly-designed books from manuscript through to completion.
- Experience of structural editing.
- Some experience of managing or mentoring freelance or in-house editorial staff.
- Flexible approach and strong people skills with the ability to work across functions effectively.
- Ability to work on own initiative to co-ordinate various elements required to deliver projects.
- At least 4 years editorial experience, some of which must be at Senior Editor level.
- Third Level Qualification.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word.
- Experience of educational titles a distinct advantage.
Location: Dublin 12
How To Apply: CV/cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB Friday May 12th 2017.