The Educational Company of Ireland (Edco), Ireland’s leading educational publisher, wishes to recruit a project editor to work in a busy editorial department on a year’s contract beginning in May 2017.
About the Role
The chosen candidate will join Edco’s editorial team, where they will take responsibility for bringing a number of titles through the publishing process, from manuscript to print.
To take responsibility for bringing specific manuscripts through the publishing process from manuscript to print, working within agreed budgets and to agreed schedules
- To work closely with authors at all stages from handover by the Commissioning and Development Editor until the book goes to print
- To take responsibility for the copyediting of manuscripts
- To brief and liaise with designers, artists and freelance editors
- To take responsibility for picture research
- To check proofs closely at all stages, using company checklists
a) To participate actively as part of the editorial team in ensuring the quality of all Edco books and products
b) To keep up-to-date and complete records of all projects
c) To attend publishing meetings as required
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a degree in a relevant subject and three–five years’ editorial experience
- Have excellent editorial skills and a keen eye for detail
- Be highly organised, motivated and adept at juggling a busy workload
- Possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Be creative, with a passion for producing high-quality, attractive books
- Have the ability to work efficiently both independently and as part of a team
Knowledge of Irish would be a distinct advantage.
Interested candidates should forward their CV with an accompanying letter, by 20 March, to:
Emer Ryan, Publisher, The Educational Company of Ireland, Ballymount Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12.