Setanta Sports is delighted to sponsor the Irish Sports Book of the Year award in association with the Irish book publishers association (Publishing Ireland). The award is committed to rewarding excellence in Irish sports writing.
While there has been slightly similar awards in the past and a sports book award category exists in the well supported Bord Gáis Energy Irish Book Awards, this award is separate and is a new initiative. The new award also has the backing of Publishing Ireland. Crucially, our panel of judges consists of renowned sports editors.
There are other differences too.
Setanta is making a minimum of a four year commitment. Setanta is also investing in the award with a significant prize for the winner of €10,000 worth of TV advertising on Setanta Sports and a cash prize.
Setanta also endeavours to broadcast a TV show this year to promote the shortlisted winners and preview their books. Setanta will also support through its large social media following.
The Setanta Sports Irish Sports Book of the Year will seek to find the best sports book written by an Irish author in 2015, or sports book with an Irish subject matter.
The aspiration is that the books will be Irish published but entrants will also be considered where:
- Author who is writing the book is Irish
- Subject matter is Irish sport
Picture books will not be eligible.
Books published between January 1st 2015 and early October 2015 will be eligible for this year’s award.
There is no limit on the number of books that can be entered.
Shortlisted authors must be made available to appear in Setanta’s TV review programme if at all possible.
The judging panel for the Setanta Sports Irish Sports Book of the Year will be chaired by Mark Duncan, a researcher and author. The panel comprises of sports editors and producers from the print, broadcast and online media.
How to Enter and Timings:
- The closing date for entries is Thursday 15th October following which a long list will be announced.
- Entries should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday 15th October.
- The deadline for receipt of all physical copies of books named on the long list is Wednesday 28th October (any request for an extension must be received in writing before this date and there is no guarantee of it been granted).
- A shortlist of five books will then be announced during w/c 23rd November.
- Those shortlisted will be asked to attend an awards lunch in Dublin during w/c 7th
- December 7th where the overall winner will be announced.