INDESIGN 101 with Dominic Carroll InDesign 101 for Book Publishers
In Partnership with Publishing Ireland
This InDesign course is specially tailored to the needs of book publishers and is a wonderful insight into many of the nitty-gritty details encountered by publishers who work with InDesign on a daily basis. The course will provide essential training for publishers using this tool.
This training involves issues with InDesign book production, covering everything from text flow to colour management to file packaging. It will guide publishers through each stage of the workflow, going in-depth on:
- Text: touching on text flow, text threads, text & object styles, baseline grid (text alignment, tracking (text spacing), text variables, hyphenation & justification, font, glyph, and special characters.
- Profiles (colour management), images (colour mode, resolution, jpeg, tiff, eps, etc.), colour palette
- Layout: covering tables, running heads, pagination, master pages, Table of contents
- Editing Process: how to utilise Story Editor, Grep (advanced find/replace), reviewing & commenting (on text and book layout)
- File packaging & InDesign iterations interoperability (i.e. opening files in earlier/later versions of InDesign), export to pdf and the preflight panel.
The course will also provide basic tuition on the use of annotations, track changes, scripts, keyboard shortcuts, linked files, InCopy, XML and eBooks. In addition, the course will provide training on the basic layout (for a book-launch invitation).
Dominic Carroll is an expert when it comes to InDesign providing training in InDesign and related programs, including Photoshop and Illustrator, for two decades.
Dominic has worked in publishing for thirty-four years. As an experienced typesetter, designer, copy-editor, proofreader and indexer, he has a comprehensive knowledge of the processes involved in publishing. He has also published nine books under his imprint Galley Head Press.
Please note that given time constraints and the complexity of InDesign, the course will not provide training on everything involved in typesetting a book. This course will provide guidance for publishers wishing to better understand a book that is already typeset (i.e. it will not cover page set-up, book feature (master control of chapter files etc.).
Thanks to Arts Council Funding we are able to offer this course at subsidised rates for members.
Places that are cancelled on or before Wednesday 17th May will be entitled to a refund.
Places cancelled after the 17th of May will not be entitled to a refund however you can transfer to place to another colleague.