Channel are currently inviting applications for an intern to work with the team on Issues 8 and 9, commencing in January and ending in November 2023.
Working hours will generally be 2-10 hours per week (in alignment with our production timeline and to be agreed on a monthly basis), paid at a rate of €10.50 an hour.
Applications are invited from all candidates currently residing within the island of Ireland who are legally entitled to take up freelance work. Channel does not discriminate on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, civil or family status, religion, age, disability, socioeconomic background, race or membership of the Traveller community. All are welcome to apply, and preference will be given to those candidates who best meet the qualifications listed below.
The intern will get the chance to be involved in all aspects of producing a contemporary literary magazine, from the submission and selection process to editing, design and production, as well as event planning and marketing. Prior experience with these processes is not mandatory; training will be provided. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in publishing and a willingness to learn.
Hours are fully flexible, but candidates must be available for an evening meeting once per week.
Work will be conducted remotely. You must have access to a laptop and an internet connection.
The intern will assist in:
- Sorting, reading and selecting submissions
- Liaising with contributors, printers and stockists
- Proofreading print issues and website content
- Publishing content on our WordPress-based website and social media platforms
- Developing our marketing database
- Researching funding opportunities
- Generating newsletter content in Mailchimp
- Managing PR
- Organising online and/or in-person launch events
The successful candidate will have:
- an interest in Irish independent publishing
- an awareness of the work that Channel publishes and a keen interest in writing that engages creatively with nature and climate
- a good eye for proofreading
- strong communication skills
- experience using Google Drive, Google Docs and Google Sheets to work collaboratively
- the capacity to meet deadlines
- the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
A working knowledge of the following is preferred:
- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
- Marketing copywriting (to include social media content, press releases and website updates)
Interviews will be held in January 2023.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to Cassia and Elizabeth at email@example.com by 5.00 pm (GMT) on 31 December.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions, or let us know if there are any accommodations we can make.
To apply for this job please visit channelmag.org.